(985) 851-3311
How can we help?

    St. Mary Parish Dock Worker Accident Lawyer

    With thousands of vessels passing through the state’s ports and shipping channels each year, dock workers are often tasked with unloading and loading cargo, making necessary repairs, and performing other critical tasks.

    As a result, dock workers are often exposed to substantial risk while on the job. A dock worker may be exposed to harmful chemicals while loading or unloading cargo, suffer injuries from a slip and fall accident, or sustain any number of preventable injuries. These accidents could have severe ramifications if they occurred because a maritime employer failed to maintain a safe environment.

    Fortunately, dock workers that suffer job-related injuries may be eligible to recover damages under a number of laws. A St. Mary Parish dock worker accident lawyer can evaluate your case and fight for fair compensation. Reach out to a skilled maritime injury attorney to understand your legal rights and options after an accident.

    Legal Options for Pursuing Compensation After an Accident

    Workers’ compensation laws are designed to help workers who were injured on the job get financial and medical benefits. However, as a dock worker accideny attorney can further explain, St. Mary Parish does not require that maritime companies offer traditional workers’ compensation benefits to their employees. Rather, federal law provides a distinct set of benefits catered to longshoremen and dock workers.

    Filing a claim under the federal Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) is one option injured victims may pursue to recover damages. Under 33 USC Ch. 18, this law provides benefits to all maritime industry workers injured in the course of their duties.

    The LHWCA is a no-fault system, meaning it is not necessary for the victim to prove negligence to receive compensation. The mere fact that the work-related injury occurred is usually enough. However, there may be limitations on the amount that a victim can recover from a Longshore claim. If their injuries are serious, they may not be compensated to the extent of the harm they suffered.

    Third-Party Personal Injury Lawsuit

    As such, injured dock workers may also file a third-party personal injury lawsuit. The main difference between an LHWCA claim and a personal injury suit is that the latter can be filed by anyone, not just workers. Those who suffer an injury as a result of negligence on the part of another may be eligible to bring a lawsuit in civil court, including dock workers. If an injured worker decides to pursue a personal injury claim, they must prove another person or entity was negligent and caused their injuries.

    What Damages are Available in a Dock Worker Accident Case?

    The LHWCA may provide various types of benefits to injured dock workers. With this claim, the employer’s insurance carrier may be required to pay the following:

    • Temporary and long-term disability
    • Vocational rehabilitation
    • Medical expenses
    • Wrongful death compensation

    Similar to state workers’ compensation claims, injured dock workers may not file both a personal injury lawsuit and an LHWCA claim against the employer. However, if a third party was responsible for the accident and resulting injuries, a third-party personal injury claim may be filed to recover damages for pain and suffering, inconvenience, disfigurement, and other non-economic losses. An experienced St. Mary Parish dock worker accident lawyer can help an injured individual recover damages after an accident.

    Contact a Reliable St. Mary Parish Dock Worker Accident Attorney

    Since complex federal laws may apply in a dockside injury case, the claims process can be complicated and frustrating without legal counsel.

    A skilled St. Mary Parish dock worker accident lawyer can analyze the circumstances of your dock accident can evaluate whether you have a valid claim. They can determine which set of laws regarding negligence and maritime accidents is applicable. For an initial consultation, call today.